This Page

has been moved to new address

A Case of the Swirly-Whirlys

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Case of the Swirly-Whirlys


I was planning on writing a different post today but I can't seem to quiet my mind enough to focus. I've been feeling very scattered lately. Busy with work and head deep in a project that frankly, I'm not that excited about. Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful for the work but I just can't seem to motivate myself to sit and actually do it. I spend most of the day with a genuine intention to work 4-5 solid hours before the boys come home from school but I am inevitably distracted by Twitter, Facebook, blogs, physical therapy exercises...you name it. I guess one of the downsides of working from home and for yourself is that you are ultimately accountable to yourself. Just. Can't. Do. It.

(By the way, I totally suffer from an involuntary Twitter twitch. Before I'm even conscious of doing it, I'm moving my hand to click and check my Twitter feed...every few minutes.)


Normally, I like having a lot on my plate. I like when my days are packed. It forces me to get organized, pull my shit together and just do it. However, my normal bag of tricks do not seem to be working for me. Part of me wonders if my lethargy and lack of motivation is tied to the fact that I can't workout. Exercise is a huge outlet for me and helps to set my mind straight.


I know that I promised that I was going to stop making excuses and to take things one step at a time. However, lately, my mind feels like it's racing a million miles a minute and I can't even slow down. I feel like my son in these pictures, drawn into the bright swirly lines and compelled to spin on and on until he finally falls down.


How do you manage the case of swirly whirlys?

{Linking up with Pour Your Heart Out at Things I Can't Say}


Labels: , ,

35 Comments:

At April 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM , Blogger Bootstrap Business Blogger said...

Cool post and visuals!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM , Anonymous Stasha said...

Your photos are great. As for the post, same here. Except replace Twitter with IG. In fact right this minute I am editing photos for a client. Can't you tell?

 
At April 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM , Blogger Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl said...

Love the photos. I do the same as you with Twitter Twitch. FB Twitch. Pinterest Twitch. IG Twitch. Email Twitch. LOL. Because of that I have to consciously put my phone away. I get much distracted at my job with it. Then I make a to-do list. And that usually will kick my butt back into work mode for a while. Lather, rinse, repeat.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM , Anonymous Tara Burner said...

LOVE the pics
and my life is a whirlwind of swirly whirly's
I just ride with them and do what I have to do
but thats my free spirit ride by the seat of pants personality lol

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Robbie K said...

Love Love these pictures!

I feel like my life is a giant swirly whirly! I find I have to get focused in small increments...and then reward myself with the tings that distract me (twitter/reading blogs etc). I make deals with myself "if you unload the dishwasher and clean off the kitchen counters THEN you can play on the computer.1"

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Ha ha! Most definitely. I see that we're both doing a great job with client work right now.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! Glad that I'm not alone in the whirlwind. Yes, I tend to be more of planner and list maker but am really trying to embrace a freer spirit and go with the flow.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! You are so right about focusing on small increments. That's the approach I'm trying to take but that damn Twitter twitch! :-) Working on it.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Christine said...

So many twitches!! I agree, lists are great and a big part of my life and I'm trying to kick my butt into gear. Focus Focus Focus.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM , Anonymous Jess said...

OMG I am SO guilty of the twitter twitch too!! Happens ALL THE TIME!!!

I bet you will start feeling more like "you" again when you get back to being as active as you were before. It's TOUGH not to have that outlet right now, I totally hear you. Hang in there ok?

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM , Blogger PavementRunner said...

Baby steps. And yes, I have the twitter twicth as well. I just go put the phone somewhere else in the house. If it isnt easily accessible, it is much easier to keep off of it. (Just make sure you have your ringer on).

Try tackling one thing at a time. Sounds simple, but it's hard to do. Multi-tasking isnt alway a good thing, especially if the list of tasks just keeps getting longer. Great post. Good luck.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pics! Hang in there, you'll get it all done and ultimately do a great job!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Shell said...

First of all- I love those pics!!!

My husband was at home for a little while the other day and as he was watching me work he said that he wished he could find something to do from home- but I just laughed at him. People don't realize how hard it is to work from home!

I try to make to-do lists for myself to keep on track. As well as realizing that I will have my off days where I just don't get quite as much done- and that that is okay.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM , Anonymous Martha @ running in mommyland said...

Everyone just loves your pictures! Do you take them with your phone, because they are always so beautiful. You have a great eye!

I'm finding it harder and harder to want to do anything other than check my computer and tweet and write! It's because we have found such a connection to so many like minded people! My husband was just complaining that he can't find anything to wear because I'm not on top of laundry and the house is a mess and..... Today after reading your post I got up and took care of business. It feels much better to be back on the computer now!

To answer your question about what I do to ward off the swirly whirlies, exercise is the only way for me. I must do it or I can turn into a lump pretty quickly!

Good luck with the assignment!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Man, the twitch is a killer! Really does a number on my productivity! You are absolutely right that it's particularly hard when I don't feel like "me" it's easy to get into a funk, especially with no outlet. Maybe my twitter twitch will resolve itself once I can workout again???

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Christine said...

The phone has been hidden!! It's so true. I used to pride myself on being a great multi-tasker. Now, I'm not sure if it's such a great thing all the time and value the ability to focus and really pay attention so much more.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Whitney! I actually had a productive day. I think that putting it out there and getting some support from everyone helped a lot!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Christine said...

The allure of working from home is *so* tempting. I totally get it but really not as glamorous as everyone thinks, right? I think that part of the challenge is that working from home/for yourself, if often feel that every spare moment should be spent working but you are so right. It's important to cut ourselves some slack and give ourselves days off too to recharge.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Christine said...

That's so true. I wouldn't want to go back to a cubicle either!!

 
At April 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Martha! Lately, I've been taking most of my photos because I always have it with me and I'm too lazy to drag around a real camera. I've been playing with the photos in apps like Instagram and Hipstamatic. I haven't really tried any of the other photo apps.

That's too funny about your husband. My husband has been taking note too. But I think that you are so right - it's so much about the connection and the community that has drawn me in.

 
At April 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been feeling the same way lately - buried under stuff i don't want to do and so avoiding it with anything i can! your pics are fab, exactly hits how i feel!

 
At April 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM , Anonymous Jadzia@Toddlerisms said...

I've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately myself.

That said, these pix are GORGEOUS. They are so saturated with color! How did you do that?

 
At April 20, 2012 at 7:24 AM , Anonymous tracy@sellabitmum said...

Oh I have sooo been feeling the same way.

Also those pics are AMAZING my friend. xoxo

 
At April 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Jolene said...

the twitter tic. Of course I know this well ;-) Sometimes when work is NOT as busy, I have even LESS motivation to work or do ANYTHING. So I totally get this. You'll come around and remotivate. I am sure of it!

 
At April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I know. I was going through my pictures and came across these and I stopped in my tracks! That's totally how I was feel. I hope that we both can stop the spinning soon!

 
At April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! I took these pictures on my phone and used the Hipstamatic app. It's pretty fun but I've been using Instagram more often lately. I hope that we both can feel a bit more grounded soon!

 
At April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks friend! I'm starting to come around a bit. Ironically had a productive day after posting this yesterday. As for the twitter tic, I think that I have to close my browser when I'm working and only allow myself to check email, etc. on my phone. Maybe that would work??

 
At April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you my friend. Why is it that I take better pictures with my phone vs. real camera??

 
At April 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM , Anonymous Melissa said...

Love the pics. I am visiting from the Sits Saturday Share. My workouts are where I get sooo much of my energy. I am a little concerned because I have to take 3 months off for IVF coming up and I am SO worried about the effect its going to have on my productivity. Plus I am easily distracted in general lol

 
At April 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Carolina said...

Your post could have been written by me...I have the FB, email, twitter, pinterest twitch. I should be sitting down and working on the hat I'm designing, but something else always gets in the way...!!!! I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital and why is it that when I work more days I get more accomplished at home?? Weird!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Christine said...

It always seems to be that way, right? When we're busiest, we are able to accomplish more? To cure my FB/email/twitter/pinterest twitch and addiction, I'm considering blocking those sites for specific increments during the day so that I don't have access to them!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks for visiting! It is hard when you have to take time off from something that gives you energy and that is a much needed outlet. It's been about a month now for me and I'm starting to be able to go for walks now which helps a ton! Even if you can't workout intensively, hopefully you can find another way to stay active, even if it's just walks, that can help revive you.

 
At April 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

Wow!! I absolutely love the colors in you pictures. So vibrant!

 
At April 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM , Anonymous Mindi said...

I totally feel your pain. Worse I'm a working mama so when I'm at home I find myself up late at night because I want to do things like twitter, facebook, blogging and then the housework and other stuff gets neglected. I find it hard to concentrate on much of anything these days especially as the weather gets warmer. Love your photos! Where is that?? Super fun! Founds you through the SITSgirls. I'm headed to BBC Philly too!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home