This Page

has been moved to new address

Scenes from my weekend - Birthday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Monday, July 2, 2012

Scenes from my weekend - Birthday

View from Pier 1, Brooklyn Bridge Park

Yoga (1991) by Mark di Suvero



Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture




I've never really been a big birthday person. Maybe it's because my birthday is in the summer and, with most friends away or at camp during the summer, I never really had big birthday celebrations (I don't think?). So, it suited me just fine that my birthday on Saturday was like any other day - swim and gym class with one son and a day at the park with the family. We headed over to Pier 1 in Brooklyn Bridge Park - the gorgeous park that starts at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge and wraps it's way around the Brooklyn waterfront. The sculpture in the picture above is by Mark di Suvero and is a 30-foot tall kinetic sculpture installed in partnership with Storm King Art Center. The large I-bean, which is bent into a U-shape, rocks and pivots along the pole and create different shadows and perspectives depending on its position.

On Sunday, we took a drive up to Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture near Tarrytown, about 45 minutes outside of the city. It's a nonprofit farm and education center and operates a 80-acre four-season farm. It runs a number of education programs for children and families but also trains farmers (particularly young farmers) in resilient farming techniques. We've visited with the kids a few times before but I think that this is the first time that they were truly interested in seeing how the farm actually works. We explored the vegetable gardens and greenhouses, visited with the chickens, pigs, sheep, cows and turkeys, and had a picnic in the grass. It's a pretty cool place and I really admire the work that they are doing on broader initiatives to create a healthy and sustainable food system.

The Weekly Chase
Last week, I joined my friend Melissa from Live, Love, & Run in The Weekly Chase - a new project that Melissa is starting to connect bloggers with other bloggers to support each other up as we chase down goals that we want to accomplish for the week. It's super simple to join up. Just head over to Melissa's blog, grab a badge and declare your goals!



I accomplished 2 of my 3 goals for last week.

1. Green Smoothie Challenge: I completed the green smoothie challenge. I'll have more on green smoothies later this week. Thanks Amanda for putting me up to the challenge. I think that I've found a new love.

2. Swim once during the week: This almost didn't happen. For me, one of the hardest things about swimming is actually getting to the pool during lap swim hours which are typically early in the morning or in the evening. I committed to swimming early Thursday morning, but when I arrived at the pool, the pool was closed because the chlorine levels were too high. WHAT??!

What a little extra chlorine?? Luckily, the NYC public pools opened this week and we planned on taking the boys after camp on Friday. So, Ed was kind enough to hang out with the boys while I swam laps. I only swam half an hour and didn't feel great. A combination of being tired, dehydrated and out of swimming shape. But it was good to be back in the pool. 

3. Physical Therapy exercises: I did my exercises 4 out of 7 days - far from every day, which is what I was aiming for. Not good. Frankly, I forget about them. But, I know that I need to keep doing them. As my doctor said to me last week, I still have a long way to go in order to get back to where I started from.

My goals for this week are pretty similar to last week.
  1. Swim 1-2 times this week.
  2. Go to bed before midnight.
  3. Cook a real dinner at least 2 nights this week.
  4. Do physical therapy exercises every.single.day + plank
Did you accomplish your goals last week? What are your goals for the week? How do you celebrate your birthday? Did you have a good weekend?


Labels: , , ,

36 Comments:

At July 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM , Blogger Rebekah Borucki said...

This looks like an awesome weekend... especially the farm part ;) xo

 
At July 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great birthday weekend! My husband and I are really low key about birthdays, too. The food/agriculture center looks like fun! Best of luck with your goals... #2 is one that should be on my list but I am a serious night owl. :)

 
At July 2, 2012 at 2:27 AM , Blogger PavementRunner said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I'm giving you a virtual cheers right now with water in my Star Trek glass. Seriously. To the right of me is a half glass of water with Lt. Uhura on it (from the 2009 movie). Yep, I'm that cool!

Excellent photos and congrats on taking on the weekly chase challenge.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 5:09 AM , Blogger Angela @ Happy Fit Mama said...

Happy Birthday! I think b-days are all about how YOU want to spend them.

My goals for this week is to 1)work on my "office hours" 2)Run LoziLu on Saturday and not hurt myself!

Good luck this week!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 5:44 AM , Anonymous MizFit said...

MINE
IS
COMING
and usually Im not one to care---this year I am celebrating too :)

 
At July 2, 2012 at 6:10 AM , Blogger Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb said...

Happy birthday!! My birthday is also in the summer. It's always been special because I was born on my mom's birthday. (awwww) =) Enjoy and have an excellent week!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!! Love these photos! Such beautiful weather; looks like a nice time. And that yoga statue is so cool!

My goals went like this (http://dareyouto.blogspot.com/2012/07/june-check-in.html) - I did alright. I like your new goal of cooking 2 real meals this week - that's part of my goal for july, si trying 2 new recipes each week.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM , Anonymous ilene said...

That sounds like a lovely weekend! The farm sounds like a great place to visit with kids. I may have to plan a trip there.

More sleep is one of my weekly chase goals too! For me, when the basics get out of whack, nothing else works properly.

Happy birthday!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Mindy Bobe said...

Happy Birthday!!! Looks like you had a great weekend and birthday! Good luck with the goals this week! I love the one about cooking a real dinner...we've been eating out way too much this summer!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Looks like we both had nice birthday weekends (mine was Thursday)!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM , Anonymous Debbie @ Live from La Quinta said...

Happy birthday! It looks like a beautiful weekend. I can't think of any better way to spend a birthday.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Good luck with your goals this week. Do you like swimming outdoors better? Hopefully the pool opening will make your goals that much more enjoyable!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Alicia at Poise in Parma said...

Seems like you had a lovely birthday weekend! I too celebrated my birthday this weekend with a big cookout at my house with all sorts of bloggers and friends. It was fabulous!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Belated birthday! Looks like a blast! You deserve it!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Cotter Crunch said...

happy belated! i just want to squeeze your kids they are so cute!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Yes! The farm might have been the best part of the weekend for sure.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks! Stone Barns is really a pretty amazing place and they are doing some amazing work to improve our food system. I have turned into a serious night owl and it's no good!! I used to love getting up early in the morning and would love to return to that.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Christine said...

haha! Thank you! I'm honored.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! I think that I need to implement "office hours" in our house. I'm all over the place with work sometimes and it would probably do me some good to have a schedule that I stick with. Have fun running LoziLu!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Christine said...

We all deserve to celebrate a little, no? Happy early bday to you!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Awwww! That's pretty cool! Have a great week too!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Meredith! The statue is pretty cool. If you have a chance to head up to Storm King Art Center up in the Hudson Valley (if you haven't been there already), there are a ton of his sculpture there and it's a pretty amazing place to explore. Love your goals too. I like the idea of trying 2 new recipes a week tho' I probably have to spread that out over a month!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Christine said...

You should go visit. It's a great place to wander around, just maybe not when it's 95 degrees and blazing hot out :-)
I'm with you on the sleep thing. I need to work on that badly!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! We usually end up cooking for the kids but never for ourselves. It's sad. We need to get better about that.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you and Happy Birthday to you!!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! It was a lovely way to spend my birthday.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! I do like swimming outdoors but the thing that I don't like about swimming at the public pool is that I can't use a kick board or pull buoy which means that I'm just swimming straight laps the whole time. It's a bit of a free for all too with no lane lines so hard to swim sets sometimes. But it's better than no pool for sure!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Happy Birthday to you!! Sounds like a great way to celebrate a birthday.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Christine said...

haha! Me too! I want to squeeze their cheeks all.the.time. Sometimes I do.

 
At July 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Kierston said...

Happy belated birthday! Glad you had an awesome weekend!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM , Anonymous Charissa said...

I had an awesome weekend celebrating my Dad's birthday and Canada Day - so fun!

 
At July 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM , Blogger E.C. Montero said...

Happy Birthday! And, great job on your goals. You may not have accomplished them 100%, but you were pretty darn close. I think I'm going to add your "cook 2 times a week" to my goals, too. As always I aim too high (want to cook all week) and end up eating out more than necessary.

 
At July 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the pictures, looks like a great time! Good luck with your goals this week, I need to adopt your cooking goal. I also have swimming on my goals.

 
At July 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Jolene said...

Happy happy! I love my birthday! LOL! And congrats on checking off your items on your weekly chase! Going to bed before midnight? SO easy for me! LOL how do you do it?! Time do you get up?

 
At July 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM , Anonymous Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run said...

I'm getting in a bad habit of reading posts and thinking I commented (like, actually wrote the comments out) and closing the windows/tabs. GAH!

Happy Belated Birthday, C!!! I'm glad I have you on Facebook in case I can't get to blogs and say it! ;) Your weekend looked absolutely perfect, and I'm so glad.

Seems like sleep is a goal that's on everyone's list this week, haha. I'm exhausted and about to take a snooze with the hubby now. Maddie didn't do very well last night...up every two hours. Shooph. Great job on the goals...and I've had a pool close down for the same reason. Another time, I had a pool in dire need of closing...you couldn't even BREATHE around it the chlorine was so high.

 
At July 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Alison said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful weekend - spent with family, it's gotta be perfect, right?

And fantastic idea on listing your goals for the week. It really helps gets things done when you put it down. Good luck for the week!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home