This Page

has been moved to new address

Dare you to rock climb

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dare you to rock climb


I've never gone rock climbing before. Several members of my family love rock climbing but not me. I think that it has a little something to do with my fear of heights. So when I asked my Facebook friends to challenge me to complete a physical test as part of the Under Armour Women What's Beautiful competition, the last thing I was expecting was for something to dare me to go rock climbing. But someone did. Thanks Ben.

Nothing like a good challenge to get you to face your fears. Luckily, there's a pretty great rock climbing gym near my apartment - Brooklyn Boulders. I knew that it was NYC's only fully dedicated rock climbing gym but I wasn't sure what to expect. The place is massive. It has 22,000 square feet of climbable terrain for all levels. 

I actually went bouldering which is climbing done on short walls with no ropes or belay. There are various paths up the wall which are marked by colored tape and numbers. The numbers indicate the level of the path and you're supposed to only use the foot/hand holds that are marked the same color tape. So if I'm climbing the pink path, I can only use the foot and hand holds marked with the pink tape.




Don't mind the little kids scampering up the wall next to me.

Let me tell you, it was kind of scary hanging off the wall with nothing securing you, especially when you have a bad knee. You will fall if you slip or lose your grip or just get tired.

But I had a lot of fun and my heart was racing. My forearms are SORE and it was hard work, especially since I finished an hour and a half physical therapy session right beforehand. OK, that might not have been the smartest move.

Have you ever been rock climbing or bouldering? Are you afraid of heights too? Wanna go climbing with me sometime?



Labels: , ,

56 Comments:

At June 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Rebekah Borucki said...

I WAS JUST TALKING ABOUT YOU!!! I was telling my husband how you would be the only person I would trust to teach me how to surf, because you don't seem like you'd make fun of me ;) Anyway, rock climbing is awesome and so are you! I want to try it so bad. xo

 
At June 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM , Blogger Mommy Inconsistent said...

Congratulations on completing this challenge! I used to go rock climbing with a friend of mine who goes a lot (and let me tell you, she is FIT!) I've gone outside a few times, but mostly inside with the harness, etc. I loved it! Haven't been in a long time. Bouldering is hard though. Good for you!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 5:12 AM , Blogger Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb said...

You.Are.Awesome. I want to try rock climbing but am so intimidated. Would love to do it in the future!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 5:16 AM , Anonymous MizFit said...

I LOVE CLIMBING
I still do it a lot indoors---but prechild I was an outdoor climbing wonder :)
in my own mind anyway.
the wonder piece :)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 6:24 AM , Blogger AmyC said...

Never been but it looks kind of fun (but scary!)

You rock ;)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Running, Loving, Living said...

Love rock climbing on walls but I would be a little frightened without being attached to anything! Great job!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 7:12 AM , Anonymous Martha @ running in mommyland said...

Yes! I have always wanted to rock climb on a wall like that! Looks like so much fun!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM , Blogger Danica Bridges-Martin said...

Didn't know this existed, I've only seen the type with harnesses. I really have to try this sometime! :) Danica Martin

 
At June 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you are so adventurous! I have never rock climbed. I actually repelled down a cliff in Israel 20-some odd years ago - that was fun and a little breathtaking.

New activities wake up our adventurous spirit as well as muscles that we don't use every day - hence your noting your sore forearms. Well done!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like fun!

I read your post about bloggy boot camp- it was awesome! I went too & wish we could have went together...I'm from Brooklyn living in Long Island! Before Philly I was hoping to connect with someone to travel with! Next time!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Mrs. Pancakes said...

I went once and actually had a ball!! Looks like you had a good time too!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Paige @ Running Around Normal said...

FUN! We actually have a rock climbing building here in Bloomington that I've always wanted to try out.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

I've never gone rock climbing, either- way to face your fears! You look so strong up there!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Krysten Siba Bishop said...

I am also scared of heights! WAY TO GET OUT THERE AND ROCK IT GIRLIE!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Neon Blonde Runner said...

Good for you getting out there!! There's an AMAZING rock climbing wall at my gym and I've just been too intimidated to try it....

 
At June 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM , Anonymous Kierston said...

I went rock climbing a number of years ago! It was super fun! I should go back this summer!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM , Blogger The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

We do a lot of free hand and foot rock climbing in Shenandoah. Ash is actually pretty amazing at it. There is a gym dedicated to it that is about 30 minutes away from us and I am seriously considering signing her up for it. She has so much confidence when she comes down off of the real rocks or high rock climbing walls that we have found.
I can't believe you did that without any support with still recovering from your knee surgery. I hope your surgeon doesn't see this post! ;-)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous Jess said...

Wow, you are way more badass than me! The one time I did rock climbing (indoors), I was harnessed in and that was scary enough!!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM , Blogger PavementRunner said...

Hahaha... that looks fun. And I think that kid is on performance enhancing capri suns.

Great job!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

I did when I was in high school (our gym had a rock climbing wall) but I was self-conscious and too anxious to enjoy it. I think I'd like to try again!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Jolene said...

Wow, scary! I have done rock climbing indoors with a belay but not bouldering! that seems so much scarier! what if you fell? LOL. I am such a wuss, clearly. You are BAD ASS for doing this!! Awesome job!!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Blond Duck said...

Popped in from SITS! I did the wall at college once...it was scary!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would LOVE to do this! I don't think there are ANY gyms with a rock wall in South Dakota (where I live anyway). I think I'd wuss out...maybe.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Julie @ ROJ Running said...

Wow congrats on your accomplishment. I have always wanted to try rock climbing at a gym...but I am so afraid of heights I'm worried I'll make a fool of myself

 
At June 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Good job trying something new and challenging yourself! My brother used to lead ropes courses, rock climbing and other stuff like this. He took me a couple of times but it's so intense. The mental focus is almost as difficult as the physical focus. I think that I'll stick to workout DVDs in my living room.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Aww, thanks Bex! I would love to go surfing with you! I have a feeling that you'd probably kick ass.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Christine said...

It's HARD!! Seriously, just climbing up that short little wall had my heart pumping. Yes, the other people at the gym were quite fit. I had a lot of fun.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Heidi! You should try it. I was totally intimidated by it but I figured that I was going to make a fool out of myself, especially with those kids at the gym who were scampering up the wall with absolutely no fear.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Christine said...

It doesn't surprise me at all that you were an outdoor climbing wonder. I will definitely go again for sure. So fun!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks! Definitely both - fun and scary!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Christine said...

It was frightening. At first I didn't think it was a big deal but once I started climbing up and once I realized how quickly I could tire out, then I started freaking out a little bit! Good thing those crash mats are nice and padded!!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Christine said...

It is fun!!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Danica. I didn't really know this existed either. I kind of did from my cousins but didn't realize how crazy and technical it can be.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Christine said...

So very true about discovering new muscles I never knew existed. It's funny though - if I were to describe myself, adventurous wouldn't be a word that came to mind first. Interesting.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Wait! You were at Bloggy Boot Camp too??! I wish I had known! I would have loved to have met up. Definitely next time!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Christine said...

No doubt it's intimidating. It took me a while of sitting there and watching and then finding a corner were there was NOBODY before I tried climbing.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Krysten!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Christine said...

haha! Thanks Jess. I think that it was also a matter of "I need to get this challenge done so let's get this thing over with" type of thing too :-)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Yes, on second thought, probably not the smartest thing I could have done but I was kind of excited to try it. I had been planning on rocking with a belay but the guys at the gym encouraged me to try this first and I kind of liked it. But that one time I climbed up and felt like I was going to fall, ohmygod scary!!! I think that I asked Ed to help me down :-)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks! I totally made a fool of myself. Did you see the little kids next to me?

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Christine said...

haha! Indeed!!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Christine said...

You should go back this summer! I have a feeling that you would be really good at it.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Shhhh!!! Yes, my surgeon wouldn't be very happy with me. Looking back on it, probably not that smartest decision I've made this week.

Jasper is pretty good at climbing too. They have all these mini rock climbing walls at the playground and he has been scampering up them since is was about 2.5. I really want to take him to this place. They actually have family hours on the weekends and I think we'll take the boys. The confidence that these kids have is breathtaking to me.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I did! It was fun.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Paige! It's a bit intimidating to step into the gym but the people were super nice. I hope you have a chance to check out the gym near you!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Laura!!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I definitely felt very self-conscious - always when I'm trying something new and don't really know that much about it. I'm not sure how but I managed to put that behind me and just do it. I hope that you get a chance to try it again. It's kind of fun!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I bet you could find a rock climbing wall somewhere. I totally thought I was going to chicken out but once I started, I wanted to figure it out. I guess that's a bit of my competitive side :-)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Christine said...

It does take a lot of mental and physical focus for sure!! It felt really good to challenge myself. I kind of needed that. Thanks Kristi!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM , Anonymous Jody - Fit at 54 said...

That looks so cool!! Makes me want to try!!!! :-)

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM , Anonymous Noelle McKenzie said...

I love rock climbing! I've actually been to Brooklyn Boulders and I wrote a post about it too haha. It looks like you made it all the way to the top though, which makes you A. braver than me and B. stronger! I live here in Brooklyn small world!

 
At June 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Raquel said...

Oh good for you! I have never rock climbed before. Stopping in from SITS.

 
At June 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Holy spider Monkey! That looks awesome. Congrats!

 
At June 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I was! Are you going to Blogher? I am and I'm nervous/intimidated!!
As per your next post...my daughter Chloe just graduated pre k too!

 
At June 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I'm not. I decided on Bloggy Boot Camp instead of Blogher. I kind of wish I was going, especially since it's local. Hmmm, maybe I'll make a last minute decision :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home